My brother, Aaron, wanted me to make rainbow chip cake for his birthday this year, as it was always one of his (really everybody’s) favorite cakes growing up. Well, I found the rainbow chip cake mix, but I couldn’t find the icing anywhere. Such a bummer!
I was going to just make vanilla frosting instead, but the idea came to me that maybe I could make homemade rainbow chips. It turns out many other bakers have had the same idea. I searched until I found a recipe I thought was simple and fun here.
To make the rainbow chips:
Ingredients: 1 12oz bag white chocolate chips and food coloring
- Get out enough small bowls for each color of chips you intend to make. Place 10 drops of the desired food coloring in each bowl.
- Carefully melt white chocolate chips in the microwave by cooking them for 1 minute at 50% power, stir. Continue in 30 second intervals until smooth when stirred. (I only needed 1 interval).
- Once melted spoon ¼ – ½ cup melted chocolate in each bowl and stir until desired color.
- Spread until parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet about ⅛ inch thick. Allow chocolate to set up. This goes faster in the fridge.
- Chop the colors into chips with sharp knife. Store unused chips in the fridge.
Making the rainbow chips was fun and simple. And they tasted great.
Now, I wasn’t a huge fan of the frosting. I thought it was a little wet. It also barely made enough to spread across a 9×13 sheet cake.
You also don’t need all of the rainbow chips for the cake. What I did was mixed about 1/4 of them into the frosting, and then sprinkled another 1/4 on the top.
I saved the other half for another fabulous recipe you can find here.
I would definitely recommend the rainbow chips. They were a huge hit!